Thursday, June 14, 2007

New York City Food


My trip to NYC was hectic but enjoyable. I don't think my husband would say the same however. We've been to the city many times before, but this time he really felt that it was too crowded, noisy and chaotic. I think that was because we spent more time in the Times Square / midtown area as opposed to the upper East side as in previous trips. We had a really great dinner at a little place called Trattoria dell'Arte (across from Carnegie Hall). It was open air and just like a real little restaurant in Italy. But my favorite dinner was at Dock's - a must-eat-at seafood restaurant at 40th and 3rd. We've eaten here many times before and it always delivers excellent, fresh seafood. The fried calamari is crisp and delicious. The lobster is fresh, large and divine! My crab cakes were scrumptious, along with the best crispy sweet potato fries you've ever eaten. I love those!


There is no shortage of food in NYC. In fact there are great little European cafes almost everywhere now. The new food item was the "pressini" sandwich. Almost like a Panini, but made with flat bread instead. I have to tell you, they're delish! I had a black forest ham and Gruyere which made me want more. We also shared a cannoli which cost $4.50 for one! Food prices are high. When we had lunch at the famous Roxy deli in Times Square, a club sandwich was $25. We had the hot pastrami on rye, stacked high and sided with a dill pickle and slaw. Yum-o! Speaking of high prices, 2 cocktails at the hotel ran $32 + tax. There are so many strange taxes added on in NYC.

No comments: