Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rescue

The winter thaw has been continuing all week long which has led to creeks about to flow over, massively squishy earth and loads of mud. Not a good situation when you have 2 pooches racing through it all and dragging it inside. Into the shower they go several times a day now. Keeping my floors clean is an all-consuming job. But spring is in the air. Just this week alone right near my house, I've seen packs of white-tailed deer, a coyote with meal in mouth trotting through the corn field and loads of Canadian Geese (who like to rest in our marsh). It's wonderful to hear all the bird calls now. But late today I had to perform an emergency rescue from the marsh. Dixie, my big girl, saw the geese and took off - flying down the hill & with a leap she went right out onto the ponds (which are still partially frozen). But after she was done with that, she couldn't figure out how to get off the ice. So as my son cried in horror and my dog shook with cold and fear, I trudged down the embankment, into the icy cold marsh water and pulled my dog to land. I thought I'd have trouble getting out as my boots were then lodged in thick, heavy mud/water. It's hours later and my feet are still cold. Always an adventure here in the country.

No comments: