Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Birthday

Dear Alessandro,

When you made your early arrival eight years ago today, you changed my life in ways I could not even imagine. When I think back over the time I've been lucky enough to share life with you so many memories come to mind. As an infant, I could not have imagined the number of sleepless nights or days of agonizing colicky cries. But all exhaustion aside, you filled my heart with your sweet sounds, blissful smiles and warm cuddles. I never knew that my heart could feel so full of love for you. My life before you had now become nothing more than a two-dimensional selfish universe so full of trivialities.

You've taught me how to be patient with life in general, how to laugh more and just enjoy the beauty of simple silliness. You continue to amaze me at how articulate you are and aware of your world. Your imagination is captivating and ever-changing with all your ideas. Your smile is still as beautiful as ever and the twinkle in your eyes is purely enchanting.

After a difficult pregnancy and your early arrival I remember this night eight years ago vividly in hospital, gazing at you in your bassinet wrapped up in your blanket and cap snoozing calmly while the food channel played in the background. I could not have imagined the journey that stood before me or the challenges that parenthood would bring me. But I would not have changed a minute of it because now I have learned the real meaning of life because of you. You continue to surprise me, make me laugh and fill my heart with pure love. For that I will be eternally grateful. I only hope that I can make you as proud of me as I am of you mi amore.
Love always,
Mommy xoxo

No comments: