Saturday, June 16, 2007

Adventures in New York






Getting back to my NY trip, I thought I'd mention about some of the places that I visited. I was on my own for a day while my husband worked, so I decided to check out SoHo - a place I've driven through but never really explored. I jumped on the infamous subway (which is quite clean and safe during the day at least) and headed down to Houston St. SoHo is just an acronym for South of Houston St. After much walking and checking the street signs and map once more, I finally made it to Broadway where I found an amazing amount of boutiques.

My first stop was to Pearl River Mart, which I've read about in many magazines. I love Asian clothing, papers and accessories so I figured this would be a great start. There was a copious amount of intriguing items, including an embroidered purse that I contemplated buying, but didn't. It was really fun just taking time to look at things by myself in my own time. I also found a great fashion jewelry shop which had walls of bling everywhere. There was a lot of cute earrings and necklaces. But since I've been running my own little jewelry business, I understand the markup and wasn't about to pay the prices they were asking. I must sound cheap at this point, but hey, a girl has to watch her pocketbook!

I think the funniest thing about the day was that 5 different people asked me for directions in a city I don't live in. Maybe because my stride is strong and quick and I walk with purpose was the tip to visitors that I must be a New Yorker who knows her way around. But I was mainly clueless, except for 2 French girls that asked me where SoHo was when we were standing in the middle of it.

After endless hours of tromping through the chaotic streets, I headed back to the hotel for a quick rest. I met up with my husband and had a drink and some great mixed nuts in the hotel bar.

No comments: