Thursday, July 5, 2007

Friends Forever

I awoke rather late this morning, a rarity in my usual routine. I knew my son was awake when I felt his small monster truck driving recklessly over my arms in an effort to wake me. After I asked him to give me a few more minutes of sleep, I heard him go downstairs and then the theme song to Clifford the Big Red Dog. All was well in my home. When I finally brewed, the phone rang its long double ring (my cue for long distance calls). I wondered which credit card company was now trying to solicit me so early in the day. But to my surprise it was my lifelong friend Jill whom I haven't spoken to in a while. What a super way to start my day. Jill and I have known each other for most of our lives and our families have been friends forever. She's the type of person who always makes you feel good just for being you...a real rarity in life. The older I get the more I realize just what a blessing it is to have a real friend - someone who you can share the silly and the serious with, someone who accepts you warts and all and not pass judgement. This I know I have in her and although we don't get to see each other much, we'll always be able to pick up like we just left off and for that I am grateful.

No comments: