Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ugly Smells

For months now we have had a strange smell coming from our storage room downstairs. There's no way of really describing it other than it's like a metallic fertilizer smell. After ripping the room completely apart and cleaning it top to bottom, we discovered nothing that we could see that would make the smell continuously. So we had an independent technician come in yesterday who tested the air quality in that room as well as the rest of the house. The air samples would then be tested for around 8 hours back in the lab. At the time, we discovered that our CO and CO2 levels were elevated - not to a dangerous point, but definitely elevated. The results came back today and apparently we have high levels of propane and ethanol coming from downstairs. That is now a worry as to how we're going to have it fixed. A contractor is on his way so we'll see how this is about to unfold.


As for my babysitting at the farm, I'm collecting about 2 1/2 dozen eggs per day which is quite fun. But having not had the pens cleaned out in a week now, it's getting pretty smelly. (I draw the line at cleaning out chicken poop). That technician yesterday told me that air inside a chicken coop is amongst the worst and dangerous around. Great! And who knew that roosters could be so darn aggressive? There is one rooster who has tried to attack me several times and has succeeded at nipping my leg more than once. So today I closed up the barn early so I don't have to drive over there tonight as I've been doing for a while now. I think a rest from all of this is going to be nice.

No comments: