Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Life as a Farmer

Day one began with my new farming babysitting adventure. This morning was relatively easy - just feeding the chickens and opening up the barn. I now have this family's Australian Shepherd added to my own brood for the next little while. But all of this mud and dirt caused by the massive thaw has caused our driveway to turn into a sinkhole basically. You can stand at the window and watch the erosion happening. I took a video of the mess this morning - it was just ridiculous. So here I am walking around in this black mud covered coat, my pants with mud from the door of the car, my fisherman's boots covered (yet again) and my car...well, let's just not even talk about that. People must see me and wonder what rock I crawled out from.


So my son, my brother-in-law and myself all drove over to the farm this evening...to let out the cat for a nighttime business and to corral the roosters and hens into their pen for the night. My son was a little overzealous (as he tends to be lately) and decided he was going to shout and run after the chickens to gather them. Obviously that did not work. I managed to collect about 2 dozen eggs though and got at least half the wee beasties into bed for the night. The barn is nice and snug now. But the cat? Well, I couldn't find him for the love of God...and in the darkness of that property, hopefully he'll be at the door in the morning.

No comments: