Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bats

Last night was such a beautiful sunset at dusk. Shortly afterwards, the golden full moon appeared behind a screen of birch branches and shrubbery. At the same time, we saw loads of bats flying out of our forest and over our house. What a wonderous sight to see predators of the dreaded mosquito. Had it been October, it would have been the perfect Halloween scene. It was neat! The more we live here, the more I'm enjoying the rural lifestyle. I'm definitely getting spoiled by the amount of free space and clean air that abounds here. My son, myself and our dogs went exploring in the now dried out wetlands in front of our home. The tall grasses are over 5' high and there are bulrushes and plants everywhere. It was hilarious to see my dogs bounding through. My little Westie, Caesar looked like he was swimming through the stalks. After we all had our hike, it was time to cool down with a large water and little rest. I got to thinking about how great it is that my son can still experience an old-fashioned childhood here...a place where walking and exploring fires him up more than any technological toy could.

No comments: